Monday 5 October 2015

EXPERIMENTING WITH WHITE BASE- TECHNICAL

In this lesson we experimented with different white bases to find out which would work best, I chose to use Supracolor, Aquacolor and Illamasqua white skin base...


Supracolor
Supra color is a grease paint formula, I have previously used this product and found sometimes it can work well, sometimes it can be a a disaster. On this occasion I used a matte primer because the product is so creamy. I then used a brush to buff the product into the skin, it was fairly easy to get a good coverage as the consistency is very thick. I don't think you would be able to buff this out into a lighter coverage because it is a grease paint meaning it is a very pigmented thick formula. The finish of the product was very shiny and If you were to touch the face the product would definitely transfer. If i was to use this product for a design I would have to fully set with a translucent powder to stop any of the product moving. I do like the end result of this but felt the product was too heavy for a contemporary look and I want to find something that makes the skin look pale but not like face paint. 


Aquacolor 
Kryolan aqua color is a water activated product, knowing that i knew it would be very matte and drying therefore I used a satin primer before to make sure the skin had enough hydration. I then applied the aqua color first using a brush, the brush left streak marks through the face and was really hard to blend. I then tried using a sponge which went on the face a lot better leaving no streak marks. For a contemporary Elizabethan design I don't think this product would be best as it is very similar to face paint therefore looks almost clown-like. Although I think this would work well when recreating a traditional look as the texture is really chalky and matte and the colour pay off is really good. I feel it looks really similar to the skin back then. 

Illamasqua skin base
Illamasqua skin base was definitely my favourite of the three as it was very versatile and you could build it up to the coverage you wanted. I used a satin primer again as I wanted to see how dewy it would go, as you can always make the formula matte afterwards with a primer. I found the product easy to use and if it was buffed out enough you could create a lovely light coverage giving just a hint of white to the face. I then tried using a sponge which created a full coverage white face, this also looked really good and I preferred the texture of the product to the other ones as it was easy to blend and easy to build up. I am going to try using this product for my final design as I think it will work really well and photograph nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment