Monday 26 October 2015

MONOCHROMATIC DESIGN- TECHNICAL

For my monochromatic design I chose the colour red, meaning I could only use different shades of red on a white base and nothing else. I chose the colour red because I wanted to link my design to Elizabethans,Red is the colour of blood and fire, it is associated with a number of things such as war, danger, strength, and power. It is also a very emotional colour that can indicate passion, desire and love. This links really well with Elizabethans as everything was based around war and power at that time.
I wanted to create something that was dramatic and using an intense colour like red would do this. I also wanted my design to be inspired by Elizabethan makeup so I chose to block out the eyebrows and create really rosy cheeks. 



I started by cleansing toning and moisturizing Annabel's skin making sure I had a clean and perfect base ready to apply the makeup on to. I applied a matte primer as I wanted the whole makeup to be completely matte. 
I chose to use Illamasqua skin base for my design as I wanted to start practicing using it ready for my final design. I used a damp beauty blender to create a full coverage white base. I wanted the skin to look airbrushed and flawless which the skin base did because of how moisturizing it is. I then applied a pressed powder to the whole face to prevent any product from moving. 
Annabel already has very fair eyebrows which was perfect for my design and the white colour covered them fairly well. If i was to use someone with dark eyebrows I could block them out using a red grease paint and then apply a white over the top. 
I then applied a red eye shadow from my kryolan palette to the lid, blending upwards all the way up to the eyebrow. I wanted the colour to be deeper on the lid and then get lighter towards the eyebrow. Th red made Annabel's eyes pop and really stand out. I then used a black liner in the water line to make the colour stand out even more. I used false lashes on the outer corners of both the top and bottom lashes to create a contemporary look. 
I then used a red blush on the cheeks and blended out a lot to create a pink colour. I wanted the blush to be quite round similar to the Elizabethans. I chose to do an ombre lip which makes the lips appear smaller which i like. 

Overall I really like how my design turned out and I think I transferred the look from a face chart to face really well. Although I do think it looks a little bit too 'Queen of Hearts'. I would like to try this look without a white base as I think it would portray more of a contemporary fashion look rather than theatrical.



No comments:

Post a Comment